Thursday, December 21, 2006


JOY
Hello,
The American Heritage Dictionary defines "joy" as, "a feeling of great pleasure or happiness." Sometimes joy can be an overwhelming feeling or sensation that brings about warmth and a reason to rejoice. I think of Mary, the mother of Jesus experiencing this type of joy when she first saw the face of Jesus. I know that each time after giving birth, the little faces of my children brought joy to my heart. So much so that I cried.
What brings you joy? Is it a unexpected gift from a loved one? Is it a good grade? Or is joy the acceptance of friends or the love of your boyfriend? Whatever brings you joy make sure that it is in a positive manner. What do I mean by this? I'm glad that you asked. You see, drugs, alcohol, pre-marital sex are things that can also bring about, "a feeling of great pleasure or happiness." However, they can also bring about great pain, sadness and unbelievable disappointment, not only to you but also to those that love you.
So, as you celebrate during this holiday season, think about the choices that you make. What will you do when your friends offer you a glass of wine or a beer at the Christmas party? Ask yourself these questions when faced with these types of decisions:
  • Will this bring me the right type of joy?
  • Will this bring joy to my parent(s)?
  • Will I be pleased with myself in the morning?

If you answered no, to these questions, you need to go back to the drawing board and rethink your position on these matters. Because what you really believe will show through your actions. Today, I want to encourage you to experience real joy, not the fake kind that last for only a short time. Experience joy that will make you pleased about who you are and the important decisions that you make. I know you think that one little drink won't matter or that one puff on that joint won't make a difference. Well, just ask the alcoholic or the drug addict. They will tell you that it all started with just one joint or just one drink.

Your Assignment:

Share the joy. It doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. You may be surprised by what you receive when you spread joy. It could be as simple as these:

  • Clean your room without being asked.
  • Meet your curfew. Better yet, come in before your curfew.
  • Buy someone a gift without expecting anything in return.
  • Write a letter to a solder in Iraq and thank him/her for their sacrifice. (You will need to get parental guidance or assistance with this one. It could be a family, school or Sunday School project.)

Then, I want you to share with us how you were able to spread the joy of Christmas with others. I have already started by sharing with you and I get great pleasure out of sharing. What will you do?

Spread the Joy,

Mama Peay

No comments: