Tuesday, September 02, 2008




Hello Everyone,

I know it has been a long time. Please forgive me. I have been so caught up in life that I have not taken the time to connect. You see, on January 12, 2008 my unmarried 24 year old daughter disclosed to her father and me that she was pregnant. What did I do? Yell, cry, fuss. You name it, I did it. Let's just say, I didn't act very loving and kind. Not one sripture verse came to my rememberance. I was angry. Angry at my daughter, her boyfriend and even angry at myself. Earlier that day I had given a presentation at a writer's conference discussing my book, Brittani, and the importance of teaching young girls the virtue of purity and abstaining from pre-marital sex. As I sat in my living room sipping a hot cup of tea, sharing with my husband the highlights of the day, that we received the dreaded news. "Mom, Dad I'm eight weeks pregnant." I must admit I may have overreacted, but what is a mother to do? For years we had discussed pre-marital sex - having very open and candid conversations. So, how is it that she became pregnant? Personal choice. She chose to become sexually active. Period. I have tried to make sense of this whole thing as I am sure many mothers have done. The truth is, you can't make sense of it, because we can't control our children's behavior. We teach, instruct, train, provide, pray for and correct. But in the end, it is their choice to go outside of our value system, our beliefs as Christians.
The dust has settled and believe me there was plenty of dust kicked around. It is now nine months later, and we have a beautiful baby boy named Jason Michael. Note the "we." To all those Grandmothers out there - stay strong, keep praying, it get's better. To the young moms, we are here to support you. This Christian journey comes with paths to follow, curves that can take us around traps, road blocks that slow us down, detours that redirect, stops that warn, exits that distract us from our destiny, and even pot holes that can disable us. But in the end, we know that we serve a God that truly loves and cares for our very souls. I wish that my daughter had chosen a different path on her journey. God knows that I do. However, I can't tell you how much joy Jason Michael gives me. This is not the end of her journey, it's just the beginning of a new phase.
Blessings,
Nana Camille
Assignment: What do you really believe about pre-marital sex? Be honest.


1 comment:

Hopechest Bride said...

Hi Camille,
First let me say,Congratulations! You know that I can relate better than most what you were experiencing and I've pondered my own reaction to my daughters news 2 years ago many many times in my head, however you are exactly right, all we can do is raise them in the Lord and pray that it will never depart from them. What a blessing and a joy. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Love ya.
Lisa